Friday, November 11, 2005

Veterans on Veteran Day

This Veteran Day is more special than others. For the first time, I am a veteran – something I would rather not be. On this Veteran Day, let this point be known – veterans do not want to be veterans.

I for once rather not have spent 2004 in Iraq. Who in the right mind would? Who would want to be in 140 degree heat in full body armor? Who would want to eat food that taste like mud or sleep in a non-air-conditioned tent surround by bugs and insects? Who would want to be on the receiving end of road side bombs or mortars? Trust me – it was no fun. Most important, who would want to be away from our loved ones for a year – to be absent on Christmas, Thanks Giving, and birthdays of those we love?

Veterans are not warmonger. We do not enjoy war. We do not enjoy shooting at people or people shooting at us. Some of us may talk like they enjoy it. Trust me – it is simply bravado for show. At nights – we all looked at pictures from our loved one and wish that we were home. We all longed for a home cooked meal. I remember that most of our conversations I had with my war buddies consist of what we would do when we get home. Not a single day went by that I did not think of home and wishing to be there – not one single day. In fact, the thought crossed my mind every single waking hour I was in Iraq.

I am not regretted going to Iraq. I said that I am proud of what I did. I just wish I did not have to. I would rather that tyrants just drop death naturally and democracy just spring up miraculously everywhere. But since that did not happen, I am a veteran. And since that will not happen, many others will become veterans.

Today I know what Veteran Day is about. For me Veteran Day is about making up lost time. So I am going to give myself a royal treatment. I am going to the best restaurant and eat the best food, surround by my family. Veteran Day is about enjoying what I missed when I was in Iraq.

Happy Veteran Day.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Veteran's Day Minh-Duc. You earned it.

Point-Blank

5:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Minh-Duc,

A personal thanks from myself to you for your hard work on behalf of this great nation in the Army.

My hat is off to you.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Mr. Completely said...

Thank you for your service to our country, then, and as you continue to do with your blog. Thank you....

.........Mr. C.

8:45 PM  
Anonymous writing an essay for college said...

we all must proud of our veterans!! they gave their live for us, for our future and safety

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Currently I knowDiablo 3 Gold exactly what Experienced Time is around. For me Expert Day is around getting back together shed period. So I will allow me a royal remedy. I will the most effective restaurant in addition to take in the finest food items, encircle by our family. Expert Day time is aroundDiablo 3 Gold kaufen savoring some tips i overlooked as i was at Iraq.

12:11 AM  
Blogger Николай Безлюдный said...

I am grateful for the article. star writers com, if you need any assistance with your manuscript. Good luck with your writings

2:53 AM  
Blogger Николай Безлюдный said...

Thank you for the great post. cv-review.soup.io, essay-review.weebly.com

1:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home