Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The Proudest Days

The Commissar asked blogger who inspired them to be blogger - their blogparent. I cannot recall which blogger specifically inspired me to blog. But I know what inspired me to blog. The War in Iraq. My first two posts were about Iraq. I came back from the war with mixed emotion about the war - both positive and negative. I first heard about weblog on "News Hour" which several bloggers were interviewed after the Eason Jordan scandal. The only person I remmembered and recognized was Andrew Sullivan.
I thought then that it would be a perfect medium to express my trapped emotion about Iraq. So I googled and studied as much as I could about blogging. So State of Flux, like the new Iraq, came into being. And much like Iraq, I had no idea where I was going or why. But now I am glad I did. It allows me to put my experience into perspective - to meditate about it deeply and rationally instead of emotionally. But emotion remains.
Today emotion is reawaken with the reminder that 2,000 US soldiers died in Iraq. The story brought me back to my first memorial service in Iraq. I did not know the soldier nor meet him. But his convoy was behind my convoy when he was killed by an IED. That was on the first day we entered Iraq from Kuwait. That was when I came face to face with my own mortality. That was my first but not last, more memorial services were conducted during our deployment. It was bitter, but in my heart of heart, I know that I was there for a good cause. But I also know that victory is uncertain. It is still pointless to mark the 1,000 or the 2,000 or the 3,000. Every fallen soldier is a great loss to his/her family, the community, and the country. The media by paying special attention to this day when the number reached 2,000 miss the point. This war is not about the deads but the livings - counts the living not the deads. Count the number Iraqi voters in the next coming election and many elections to come. Count the children who would have died in the cripping sanction.
My experience had much bitter. I wrote about it here. It even titles: "They Year of Discontent." It was a bitter and difficult year - many days I was in despair. But we did great thing - against great odds. And we did it not knowing what the outcome would be, not knowing if we would be appreciated for our sacrifice, not knowing if our political leaders have the conviction and wisdom to lead us to victory. We did it on faith - faith in our own nobility and hopefully the nobility of the Iraqis. I did not realize the fruit of my labor until January 30th, 2005 when Iraqi flocked to the poll to elect the first representative government.
Today, it is confirmed that the Iraqi constitution has passed. I cannot help but think that those days in Iraq were the proudest days of my life. Days that I can retell my children and grandchildren with pride. I have served with the most noble breed of men and women - some are counted among the 2,000 deads. I will remember fondly the numerous convoys we were on together - on an IED ladden road between Mandali and Balad Ruz. The rides were terrified - but the companies were terrific. I will remember fondly the meals we ate together. It was the worst tasting food I ever had; but I could not have it with better companions.
Let them count the deads, I will count them too. But I will remember them with pride, not with shame. My proudest days was short live, their are eternal.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Eric said...

Minh-Duc, from a Cold War and Desert Storm veteran, thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences on Iraq. My experience there was so different, and yet so many things bring the memories back every time. So many things I will forget and so many things I will remember. Since I didn't know you then, but I do now, welcome home comrade.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Pedro said...

Minh-Duc,

I learn a lot from your blog, and I'm glad that you decided to create it. Thank you for this post. And thank you for your service and your wisdom. I'm humbled.

I still think you should become a professor! We could use a few people like you...

Pedro

10:10 PM  
Blogger VietPundit said...

Thank you, Minh-Duc, for your noble service. I think I "found" you pretty early on in your blogging days, and boy am I glad I did! Link to your post here.

11:16 PM  
Blogger Chip Morgan said...

Great Blog!
Chip
http://www.focusedinterview.com

9:54 AM  
Blogger Chip Morgan said...

Great Blog!
Chip
http://www.focusedinterview.com

10:40 AM  
Blogger DirtCrashr said...

Good work man! Thanks for your service.

9:14 AM  
Anonymous W.NM. said...

Minh,

Excellent post and thank you for your service.

W.NM.

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Minh,

Thank you for helping America in a time of war.

What you did and we are doing in Iraq is as important as when we fought the Germans and Japanese,IMO.

It's just not as easily understood or conventional and takes a long time,but thank God it takes less lives from us as well.

10:01 AM  
Blogger 2Hotel9 said...

Minh, thanks for your service. I was taught that the dead are only lost when they are forgotten. Keep your memories, and let no one cast their eyes down upon you. And remember, you are young, the proudest times of your life are yet to come. Speaking of which, have you met THAT woman yet? The one that will bear you sons? The proudest moments are definately yet to come.

4:53 PM  
Anonymous douglas said...

Minh, I'm a little late to the party, but I had to say a couple of things after reading this post:

-Thank you for what you did.

"Let them count the deads, I will count them too. But I will remember them with pride, not with shame. My proudest days was short live, their are eternal."

-That's just pure poetry, and in a way, your 'accent' makes it even more profound. Thank god people like you have discovered blogging...

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Buying WOW Gold said...

Effectively on-line it is easy to go to a video exactly where among the list of event scientific studies that had got to experiment with the actual guidebook indicates the amount silver they've got produced in addition to illustrates which he or she is within the actual hosting server.

12:21 AM  
Anonymous gamelovers said...

While actively playing Runescape, I usually buy swtor credits from reliable web-sites. The principal intent of getting gold from this website is, the website is trusted and provides cheap swtor credits even although in the swtor credits market.

1:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may be littleCheap D3 Items with prominence, however are big man in my estimation. Absolutely more substantial and also greater than those who (as in an earlier struggle) hardly understand,Buy Runescape Gold as well as will not comprehend, the combat is focused on.

12:22 AM  
Anonymous wow items said...

As if the most recent version in addition to the of Jinlan 4 achievements bugs addition out a lot of the dialogue and the broken knife, this thing should be a blizzard to play a wow gold for sale little trick
In fact, on the repair, the difficulty small, on most of the heavenly kicked the company, on top of a word will be able to get under 10 minutes almost.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Louyika Sia said...

I have to say your article inspires me to the most, it is so instructive to tell others how to understand that in such a special view.I will share your articles with my friends, i think they will like them just like me. What's more, can you update them more frequently? I am a fan of online games. buy rs gold , runescape gold

2:14 AM  
Blogger Amy Smith said...

Birds love rice love life-spring water that is needed, not love; hyacinth is Galaxy 3 casesthat love for no reason, to deep to cut love

11:22 PM  
Blogger mengmeng pan said...

Good points, Stacy.Billiges Handy ohne Vertrag online kaufen the Writing Excuses podcast also does a good job talking about self-publishing, and the pitfalls authors need to be aware of.

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home